If you didn’t get a chance to attend the 3/26 board meeting where the Mid-term report was presented, click on Special Education Program Evaluation Mid-Term Report to view the presentation slides.
Unfortunately the 3/26 board meeting video is not available yet, but I encourage you to watch the video as soon as it posted.
Considering the short notice, some parents were able to make the meeting. I also noticed special education staff members in attendance as well, including Special Education Director, Susan Christensen and Special Education Supervisors Brenda Watkins and George Morgan.
One public comment, by Elizabeth Foy, was given regarding special education. Two points from Beth’s comments stood out – there needs to be a systematic change in the mindset and end segregation of small group.
Below are points presented by SRG Technology:
- Program Review began in January 2015
- Over 14,000 SWD students
- 12.5% of student population are SWD
- Commendations – strong collaboration among district staff, strong speech and preschool programs
- Recommendations – transparency, improve communication both internal and external, and consistency of practices
- Other suggestions – deploy more staff at school level rather than district level, problems should be solved/handled at lowest level that they occur, and create a formal parent advisory board.
Board Member Susan Thayer asked how many parents were consulted, were enough parents represented. Chief Academic Officer Mary Elizabeth Davis stated sufficient parental input was given. However, parents in the audience clearly made it known that only 10 parents were interviewed. At that time the consultant acknowledged the turnout wasn’t what they wanted, reasoned it was because of the bad weather, and recommended an alternative survey to reach out to more parents.
The next step is for the consultants to complete data gathering and deliver the final report to the board before the end of the school year.
So I will be keeping a close eye on the board meeting agendas to see when the final report will be presented. Below are the remaining board meetings’ dates before the school year ends. So do keep your schedules open so we can be in attendance.
- Wed, 4/15 at 8:30 am
- Thurs, 4/30 at 7 pm
- Wed, 5/13 at 8:30 am
- Thurs, 5/28 at 7 pm